What is Secure Code Review?
Secure Code Review is the process of auditing the source code for an application to identify any security flaws or vulnerabilities. Think of it as a thorough health check for your software’s code, ensuring it’s not just efficient, but also safe from potential threats.
Code review can be performed manually or using automated tools. Manual review is typically more thorough, but it can be time-consuming and expensive. Automated tools can be faster and less expensive, but they may not be as thorough as manual review.
The best approach to code review is to use a combination of manual and automated tools. This will help to ensure that all potential security vulnerabilities are identified and addressed.
Secure Code Review in the SDLC
Incorporating Secure Code Review into your Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) is like having a skilled detective examining every nook and cranny of your software. It’s about proactively identifying weaknesses before they become gateways for attackers.
Secure Code Review for PCI DSS Compliance
PCI DSS mandates Secure Code Reviews to ensure that your software adheres to the highest security benchmarks. Adhering to these standards isn’t just about ticking boxes; it’s about building a foundation of trust and safety in your digital offerings. Learn More about Code Review for PCI DSS.
Our Approach to Secure Code Review
At Security Brigade, we don’t just do Secure Code Reviews; we redefine them. Our approach is a blend of human expertise and cutting-edge technology, leveraging AI and ML to go beyond traditional methods.
Our methodology is exhaustive, We use automated tools to scan for known vulnerabilities, but the human element is where we shine. Our experts dive deep into the nuances of your code, identifying issues that machines might miss. A Step-by-Step Guide to some of the key steps in our Code Review Process:
- Requirement Analysis
- Environment Setup & Validation
- Dependency Analysis
- AI Powered Static Code Analysis
- Expert Manual Analysis
- Final Approval
- Report Generation
- Re-Testing & Validation
Benefits of Secure Code Review
Enhanced Security: The most immediate benefit is a significant enhancement in security. By identifying and resolving vulnerabilities early, Secure Code Review fortifies your software against potential cyber threats.
Improved Code Quality: By identifying vulnerabilities early, Secure Code Review significantly lowers the risk of costly security breaches. It’s a proactive step towards safeguarding your data and your reputation.
Increased Productivity: With cleaner code and fewer bugs, developers can focus more on innovation rather than fixing issues. This leads to increased productivity and faster time-to-market for new features and applications.
Compliance with PCI DSS: For businesses handling cardholder data, compliance with PCI DSS is non-negotiable. Secure Code Review ensures that your software meets these stringent standards, protecting not just your data but also your reputation.
Improved Risk Management: By proactively identifying potential security issues, Secure Code Review allows for better risk management. It shifts your strategy from reactive to proactive, saving costs and avoiding the reputational damage associated with security breaches.
Deliverable of Our Secure Code Review?
- Executive Presentation: provide high level executive summaries of the engagement, key root cause analysis of the identified issues & best practice recommendations for the long-term to help leaders better understand their risk and incorporate our recommendations into their roadmap.
- Detailed Technical Reports: provide in-depth descriptions, step by step proof of concepts, detailed recommendations with source-code & configuration examples of all the security issues identified as part of the assessment. Security issues identified are risk-rated based on the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) and mapped to industry leading standards such as OWASP Web Top 10, OWASP Mobile Top 10, etc.
- Safe To Host Security Certificate: The certificate of compliance is a formal document that is issued by the auditor to the organization. This document states that the organization has been found to be in compliance with the guidelines.
- List of Recommendations for Improvement: The list of recommendations for improvement will identify areas where the organization can strengthen its technology risk management framework. These recommendations can be used by the organization to improve its security posture and reduce its risk of a data breach or other security incident.
One of the key requirements of PCI DSS is to perform regular secure code reviews of all custom code that touches cardholder data. This helps to identify and fix security vulnerabilities in the code before it is put into production.